About Me

My photo
born celestial..adopted and raised on earth =]

Blog Archive

Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Cancer is a Cancer is a Cancer..be Brave, be Bold =]



*invite credits: Bravehearts, CIF for CECAP Network Program, Campaigns Public Relations, Inc.; *photo credits: pinayads.com

*My late grandmother [father side] lived a healthy lifestyle but fought againts breast cancer. She had a masectomy but lived past a good number of years before succumbing to heart attack and complications.
*My mother also lived a healthy lifestyle but her resistance to [or was it fear because her family has history of diabetes and heart attack] to be diagnosed earlier resulted in a fatal sudden diabetic attack and multiple organ complications.
*My father was a smoker from the age of thirteen. He quit smoking for almost a decade but still his frequent asthma attacks later on were attributed to his lungs' low immunity level. He suffered a fatal asthma attack coupled with heart complications.
*An Uncle [father side] was diagnosed with prostate cancer a few years ago. He is under medication but scheduled for operation this year. As of this time I do not know if he has gone under the knife yet.
*My sister fought against myoma last year and had her ovaries removed. She's not married and had no children. A few weeks ago she suffered a mild stroke. She is almost well now except for the slightly slurred speech.
*An Aunt [father side] also lived a healthy lifestyle but recently [same day my sister had a mild stroke] she had a stroke. She stayed in the ICU for about two weeks, her left side is greatly affected and she cannot speak yet [we are hopeful that nothing's impossible and she will tell her childhood stories again..albeit repeated over the years]. As of this moment she is at home and awaiting therapy.
*Me, well at the age of thirteen I suffered from unexplained seizures wherein doctors were dumbfounded. But in a few months time I got fairly well and haven't had an attack until after my first course [Interior Design] in college. Still doctors cannot give direct answers and just diagnosed it as something related to low white blood cells count. Later in law school whenever I get dizzy spells or palpitations I regard it as anxiety attacks [I know what you're saying now, am in denial much but that's just me..cannot afford to stop studying]. Besides, the many times I almost died be it medically related or accident related..I just shrug it off coz life is short and I want to live life to the fullest.

*A cancer is a cancer is a cancer.. that is why when opportunities to help in any medical, legal or community-based advocacy, project, campaign what have you my sister, cousin [mother side] and I give our full support. We are full-pledged Gawad Kalinga advocates, not many people know that and for some they think we've given more than an arm and a leg but hey..you cannot bring tangible stuff in the afterlife so let other people benefit from it.

This is a first, but tis very important for me to open up once and for all [for anyone who reads my posts..especially those posts with a cause and not just events-related], to understand the depth of my eagerness, the reason why I make it a point to attend and help in any way with such advocacies because I know and coupled with prayers such posts are venues to inform and God-willing save a life.

Aside from Gawad Kalinga [legal, medical, day care, IT seminars, vaccinations, NSTP's, etc.] we also support PAWS, Sanofi Pasteurs' Anti-Flu vaccinations [oops, I haven't had my shot yet], Kaibigan ng PCSO..and now am more than proud to be part of Bravehearts.

Bravehearts is a multisectoral coalition led by Cancer Institute Foundation for the Cervical Cancer Prevention Network Program [CIF for CECAP]. We are dedicated to raise awareness on cervical cancer prevention and is currently supported by a growing number of women, including prominent personalities such as Sen. Loren Legarda, Rina Jimenez-David, Ellen Tordesillas, Atty. Gaby Concepcion and Suzi Entrata. Through Bravehearts, a monthly journal has been established and more than twenty lecture awareness campaign have been done.

Cervical Cancer is the second most common cancer in women worldwide, with 500,000 new cases and 250,000 deaths reported each year. Over 80percent of cases in developing countries including the Philippines, where it is ranked as the second most common cancer afflicting Filipino women. Yet few women realize that cervical cancer is actually treatable if diagnosed early.

Cervical cancer is caused by a persistent infection with cancer-causing Human Papilloma Virus [HPV]. However, a single infection may take 10 to 30 years to progress to cancer, which gives a woman ample time to visit her doctor to combat this killer disease.

Prevention through the Single Visit Approach [SVA] and Vaccination is highly recommended.

Please help spread the word and better yet come and join us..remember, cancer not only affects the patient but also the lives of those who are dear to them.

Godbless and Cheers =]

*please read my next posts and better yet come and join us this summer in the Tour of Hope 2009

No comments: